Saturday, June 22, 2013

Ava's Room: the Preparation

One of the things J and I would like to share with ya'll is Ava's room.  As in any nursery, A LOT of preparation went into getting Ava's room just perfect and ready for our lil princess.  Other than family and close friends no one has gotten to see the end results, until now...so for the next 2 posts we will share Ava's room and the story behind many of her things.  In case you are wondering, Ava's room is a place of joy for us along with the occasional sadness.  We leave her door wide open and for the most part, everything is left just as it was for her and will continue to stay that way until we are blessed with another baby.

First off, for the preparation of Ava's room we had to move out all of B's things. B was upgraded to our guest/office/exercise/craft/clean, unfolded laundry storage room.  Yes, believe it or not, we were able to fit all five of those needs into 1 room and walk in closet!  =) He is very excited about his new, bigger bedroom! Here are just a couple of pics of his new room.


Next, we had to paint over B's old blue walls. We decided to go with "butter yellow" walls rather than pink walls so we could use lots of pink and brown accents.  We painted Ava's walls a color called "Summer Sunshine".  Based on the "name" of the paint, we thought it was the perfect paint choice because 1) I LOVE summer and 2) we knew Ava would be our lil ray of sunshine...hopefully we aren't the only ones that choose a paint color solely based on the name. =)

 Of course, we had to have a lil helper too. =)

After we got her room painted, we were ready to order her crib.  I was SO excited to get her crib online from Target for only 6cents! Between giftcards, J's employee discount (at the time) and my RedCard discount, our total out of pocket cost was only 6 cents! =)
We chose a dark brown cherry sleigh crib to match the twin cherry bed that we already had for guest/nights your spouse snores too loud and you need a good nights rest. =)
One of J's special talents is assembling furniture, so we also purchased an Ikea dresser that he put together.  This was a plain front dresser (no knobs).  The pink knobs are a personal touch that we added to make her dresser a little more girly. =) I purchased the pink glass knobs off of Amazon (for FREE) and after J put the Ikea dresser together, my dad added the knobs for us. I LOVE the extra "girlyness" the knobs add.
 
Do you see the diaper caddy sitting on the dresser? That was brand new from Pottery Barn Kids and I added some personalization to it too. I felt it also needed a pink, girly touch so I added some pink ribbon accents to it. LOVE how it came out!
I had the same diaper caddy with B (but a white basket and blue gingham liner).  I really felt it was very useful, so I had to get one for our princess too. 
 
 A personalized canvas I had made to go above her crib. . .it matches her bedding. =)
 
All of her bedding was custom made by a combination of my mom and one of my good friend's mom.  They both did an AMAZING job!
 
 A customized bow holder that I made to match her bedding. =)
 
I also made two lampshades to match her bedding. . .
 
  We enjoyed customizing Ava's room so much! Please stay tuned for Part 1 and Part 2 of her finished room. =)
 
Thanks for following along with us,
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...